A New Adventure Begins...
After a little bit of effort, I've got WriteFreely working on my home server in tandem with everything else I've got on there right now. I really have zero idea of what I'm doing with Apache, but hey I'm getting results, so I can't be that bad right?
Anyway I'm not sure what I'm going do with this. It's a comfy little diary for the time being, but who knows, maybe one day I'll be using it extensively. I've never been much of a wordsmith, but maybe I'll have a reason to write one of these days.
In any case, here we are.
Possible ideas for this site
At this time, sitting alone in my apartment living room, I feel like I have nothing important to say. So instead, I'll ramble off some ideas for big picture things I could use this for, in no particular order.
- Daily journal. Probably wouldn't happen due to my lack of self dicipline and general lack of creativity/things to say. Then again, I did tick the “federate” option when doing the configuration, so it's technically possible that I could amass a small following who could keep me honest and focused (not likely due to the whole “lack of things to say” part).
- Poetry. I've always liked the idea of writing poetry, however I've also always been awful at it (despite what <18-year-old me would have told you). I think that there's some amount of potential for this site's format to allow for artistic emphasis and whatnot. I don't know, it was a passing thought as I got into my car this morning.
- Study journal. This is definitely the most probable of all uses for this site. My study of Japanese started off astoundingly, but my lack of self dicipline and the lack of guidance after leaving the classroom has made it a struggle to advance in the past... 3 years (oh my goodness, has it been that long D: ). I could very easily see myself using this to copy/paste articles and translate them, or post reviews of things I'm learning in my own words to help solidify concepts both now and in the future.
- Transition journal. Again, this is a high-likelihood option. I do need a space wherein I can vent my worries, struggles, and triumphs in regards to my gender. Getting those ideas and emotions out of my head and into words will probably help me come to terms with things, or at bare minimum stop me from thinking the same train of thought multiple times a day.
- All of the above? WriteFreely does have a tagging system, however at this point I do not know how powerful it is or what it's capable of. I did see that it's pretty easy to pin posts for quick access, but could I do that with search terms? I have no idea, I'll have to play around with it and see what I think.
Speaking of things I think, I think that I might try tagging my posts in a similar manner to how I tagged this one at the beginning. I don't know if it will look good or be practical, but I think it could very neatly organize things.
Anyway, this ramble has gone on for long enough. I've got a whole new website's worth of setting and features to play around with :3
(I really wish there was a preview option for posts...)